Richmond, Va. (Jan. 25, 2021) –The Medical Society of Virginia (MSV) Foundation announced the winners of their annual Salute to Service Awards. Six Virginia physicians are being recognized from across the Commonwealth for their outstanding service in six categories: Service to — the Profession, the Uninsured and Underinsured, the International Community, Advancing Patient Safety and Quality Improvement, service by a Medical Student or Resident – and a special category for 2020, Service to Healthcare During COVID-19.
The premiere award, Service to the Profession, has been given to William C. Reha, MD, MBA. Dr. Reha is a Urologist in Woodbridge, Virginia and a former president of the Medical Society of Virginia.
The 2020 Winners of the MSV Foundation’s Salute to Service Awards include:
- Mar Escario, MD, FACA of Danville, Service to the International Community
- William C. Reha, MD, MBA of Woodbridge, Service to the Profession
- Gonzalo M. L. Bearman MD, MPH, FACP, FSHEA, FIDSA of Richmond, Service for Advancing Patient Safety and Quality Improvement
- Amanda Tosi of Norfolk, Service by a Medical Student or Resident
- Joan Ritter, MD, FACP of Arlington, Service to the Uninsured and Underserved
- Carolyn A. Burns, MD of Richmond, Service to Healthcare During COVID-19
The MSV Foundation created the annual Salute to Service Awards in 2004 to recognize outstanding efforts of physicians, residents, and medical students who are dedicated to creating and nurturing a caring health promotion and disease prevention environment by providing service on behalf of patients everywhere.
The Medical Society of Virginia Foundation did not host the 2020 Physicians Gala due to COVID-19, so the 2020 Salute to Service Awards will be presented at the 2021 Physicians Gala at the Omni Homestead in Hot Springs, Virginia.
About the Medical Society of Virginia Foundation
The MSV Foundation (MSVF) advances opportunities for physicians to participate in health improvement efforts in Virginia by supporting programs and initiatives that equip physicians to best serve themselves, their patients and their communities. For more information, visit www.msv.org/Foundation.