Why advocate year-round?
While the Virginia General Assembly is only in session for two months, the House of Medicine needs your advocacy 365 days a year. Hospitals, health plans, and other health care stakeholders work on advancing their agendas year-round. If Virginia’s physicians wait until January to make their interests known, it will be too late. By reaching out to legislators outside of session, you are establishing yourself as their go-to constituent for health care issues. Personal relationships are the key to strong advocacy and give MSV more power and influence at the Capitol.
What is WCOC 365?
By joining WCOC 365, you are joining the ‘special forces’ of MSV’s advocacy work. We need as many members as possible to reach out and lobby their legislators year-round on issues important to patients and physicians. You can engage in a variety of ways, including:
- Take part in the MSV Advocacy Process – Advocacy Summit, Specialty Advisory Council, Advocacy Committee
- Share, Like and Comment on Social media
- Send letters to the editor of your local newspaper (MSV staff can help write)
- Email/call legislators
- Attend lobby day
- Testify in committee
- Attend legislator events
- Host legislator visits in your practice
- Invest in MSVPAC
- Take part in the MSV and AMA resources for physicians interested in running for public office
- And more!
What are the benefits of WCOC 365?
Becoming a WCOC 365 member couldn’t be easier. All you need to do is raise your hand (or check a box). No commitments. No costs. By saying you want to be a 365 advocate, you will have access to:
- Tailored advocacy training
- Exclusive advocacy news updates as issues arise
- Invitations to attend political events in your area
- Membership-vetted talking points
- Early access to General Assembly preview and wrap-up articles
- And the support of MSV Government Affairs staff