The Medical Society of Virginia (MSV) is a professional membership association representing physicians across the Commonwealth. The organization is committed to advocating for physicians on important policies and issues to ensure Virginia is the best place to practice medicine and receive care.
The Medical Society of Virginia is seeking a Manager of Public Relations & Communications to develop and guide the strategy for all communications, media and public relations messages and collateral to consistently articulate the organization’s mission. The role will ensure that the organization is viewed as the primary source, disseminator, and conduit of information within this diverse environment and stakeholder base. The Manager will work closely with a senior peer group within the organization as the communications partner on a variety of strategic initiatives. Primary responsibilities include:
- Audience Management:
- Lead the development, implementation, and evaluation of the annual communications plan across the network's discreet audiences in collaboration with the team and external constituents
- Lead the generation of online content that engages audience segments and leads to measurable action. Lead efforts to decide who, where, and when to disseminate
- Identify and establish appropriate communications vehicles to create momentum and awareness as well as to test the effectiveness of communications activities
- Coordinate and organize media and public relations planning that engage the organizations various audience segments
- Lead media relations outreach including developing media strategies and materials development (press releases, message Q&A, executive briefing documents, press conferences, etc.)
- Shape responses to inquiries that align with mission, strategy and policies
- Serve as one of the organization’s spokesperson’s on issues
- Manage all media contacts
- Identify and draft copy for all print and electronic collateral including, but not limited to, newsletters, brochures, website and social media content
- Track and measure the level of engagement within the network over time
Qualified candidates must have:
- 7 years of communications experience, ideally in an “in-house” leadership role within a complex (number and variety of stakeholder) entity, and covering areas such as website content, newsletters, and donor communications.
- The ability to take factual information and transform it into exciting and useful messages and stories, and disseminate it to the right audiences through the best distribution channels is critical.
- Highly collaborative style; experience developing and implementing communications strategies
- Excellent writing/editing and verbal communication skills
- A strong track record as an implementer who thrives on managing a variety of key initiatives concurrently
- Relationship builder with the flexibility and finesse to "manage by influence"
- High energy, maturity, and leadership with the ability to serve as a unifying force and to position communications discussions at both the strategic and tactical levels
- Demonstrated experience in writing for multiple media; including Web, print, video.
- Knowledge of media relations techniques such as press releases, media alerts, press conferences and personal pitches.
- Ability to understand strategic goals and develop communications/content/publication tactics that support goals.
- Experience working with Web site content management systems and electronic communications
If you meet these requirements, please forward your cover letter and resume to Employment@MSV.org.